Organic Coconut Oil is rich in vitamins and minerals and especially rich (60%+) in important fatty acids, the medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been used by Asian and Pacific populations both as a source of dietary oil and in their traditional medical practices. Praised for its many and various healing properties, to a Pacific Islander, Coconut Oil is believed to be the cure of all illnesses and is so highly valued they refer to the coconut palm as “The Tree of Life.” Western modern science has only recently begun to uncover and understand the miracle healing value of the coconut.
Coconut Oil has been mistakenly labeled as unhealthy due to its high saturated fat content. However, modern science has now refuted these earlier claims and instead, is praising the health benefits with some even stating it as the “healthiest oil on earth.”
All fats and oils are composed of molecules called fatty acids which are made of long chains of carbon atoms with hydrogen atoms attached. All fatty acids are classified as either short-chain fatty acids (SCFA), medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), or long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) and our bodies metabolize each of these fatty acids differently.
About 98-100% of fats and oils in our American diets (including those in meat, milk, eggs and most all vegetable oils) are comprised of LCFA. But Coconut Oil is comprised of more than 60% MCFA, also known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). MCFA do not have the adverse effects found in LCFA but instead have many health benefits, including helping to protect against heart disease, lowering the risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease as well as slightly lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) and slightly raising
HDL (good cholesterol).
Not only does Coconut Oil taste delicious plain but it is also great for cooking. It has no detrimental side effects and unlike other vegetable oils, it does not form harmful by-products such as trans fats, when heated to normal, medium or even high cooking temperatures.
The health benefits of Coconut Oil are boundless and as the Pacific Islanders have found it to be a panacea for many health issues.
Research has Suggested that there are many Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
• Helps fight wrinkles, sagging skin and age spots
• Works as a protective antioxidant
• Helps ward off free radicals that cause premature aging and degenerative diseases
• Maintains body’s antioxidant reserves whereas other oils deplete them
• Protects skin from harmful ultraviolet rays which increases wrinkles
• Works as a nutritional source of quick energy from the medium chain triglycerides (MCTs)
• Increases energy and endurance
• Helps our body to absorb certain nutrients such as calcium and magnesium which are good for the bones thus helping prevent osteoporosis
• Helps control blood sugar and improves the insulin secretion
• Helps prevent and treat diabetes by helping to use the blood glucose effectively
• Reduces symptoms and health risks of diabetes
• Provides ketones as alternative fuel to glucose
• Improves digestive system thus preventing stomach and digestive related problems including IBS
• Has microbial properties which help fight off bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc. that cause indigestion
• Helps the body absorb other vitamins, minerals and amino acids
• Improves bowel functions
• Aids in killing off tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites
• Helps healthy growth of hair
• Gives shiny complexion to hair
• Aids in the control of dandruff, lice, lice eggs
• Makes a great conditioner
• Helps regrowth of damaged hair.
• Provides proteins needed for nourishing damaged hair
• Used by many hair manufacturers in hair oils, conditioners and dandruff creams
• Used topically in Indian culture for thousands of years as hair care products
• Used by many as a natural lice remover
• Contains ‘good fats’ that do not accumulate in heart or arteries and do not increase LDL levels as do other vegetable oils
• Comprised of 50% lauric acid, which helps high cholesterol, high blood pressure
• Improves cholesterol ratio thus reducing risk of heart disease
• Protects arteries from harm that may cause atherosclerosis
• Contains antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties that strengthen the immune system
• Comprised of lauric acid which the body converts into monolaurin which is believed to help ward off viruses and bacteria which cause herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus and HIV
• Helps fight bacteria, such as listeria monocytogenes and heliobcter pylori and harmful protozoa such as giardia lamblia
• Strengthens the immune system
• Kills viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis C, herpes, SARS, AIDS and kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, pneumonia, and gonorrhea
• Fights fungi and yeast that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete’s foot, thrush, diaper rash, etc.
• Helps prevent kidney and gall bladder diseases
• Aids in dissolving kidney stones
• Contains medium chain triglycerides and fatty which are easily converted into energy when reaching the liver thus reducing the work of the liver and thus preventing liver diseases
• Relieves stress on pancreas
• Reduces pancreatitis symptoms
• Aids in the natural chemical balance of skin
• Is an excellent moisturizer on all skin types especially dry skin
• Helps relieve dryness and flaking of skin
• Used by many skin manufacturers as basis for soaps, lotions, creams, etc.
• Forms a protective layer from dust, air, fungi, bacteria and virus when applied to infections
• Speeds up healing of bruises as it helps repair damaged tissues.
• Has antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties which is effective in fighting infections
• Reduces symptoms of psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis and other skin problems
• Can be massaged gently to the head for soothing affects
• Kills bacteria that cause gum disease and cavities
• Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay
• Helps keep thyroid healthy
• Contains fewer calories than other oils
• Is not stored as body fat like other fats but instead is easily converted by the body into energy, thus helping with weight problems
• Is easily digested
• Increases metabolism by removing stress on pancreas, thus burning more energy thus leads to weight loss
• Is a part of the diet of tropical populations who tend to be slim not overweight
• Helps reduce problems associated with malabsorption syndrome, cystic fibrosis, gallbladder disease, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, stomach ulcers, hemorrhoids, benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement) chronic fatigue syndrome
• Reduces inflammation.
• Helps protect the body from cancers- breast, colon, etc.
• Reduces epileptic seizures.
Several experts have attested to the worthiness and health benefits of virgin coconut oil:
Dr. Mary Enig, Phd (author of "Know Your Fats") and Dr Bruce Fife (author of best-selling book "The Coconut Oil Miracle") have gathered research and studies from recent years to show the benefits of consuming medium chain triglycerides (MCT) acids such as are found in virgin coconut oil. They report reduced levels of viruses in tests done on patients using coconut oil in its unrefined state.
An article in Women‘s World drew on parts of these and highlighted the propensity of these fatty acids to stimulate the thyroid gland and thus raise the metabolic rate. Examples were given of comfortably achieved large weight losses. A faster metabolic rate will lead to a weight loss. We crave fat, and diets that deny us fat leave us unsatisfied and vulnerable to rapid weight gain after the diet is over.
About 50 percent of coconut oil is lauric acid, which the body converts into monolaurin. Laboratory studies show that monolaurin inactivates some bacteria and viruses including the influenza virus. Virgin Coconut oil with its medium chain fatty acids are unlike other "saturated" fats as the body handles them differently and they are rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. It is extremely beneficial for immune function. Coconut is free of cholesterol and is a healthy, energy-boosting fat that will not increase cardiovascular disease.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This website is designed for educational purposes only and does not render medical advice or professional services. The information provided through this website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have -- or suspect you may have -- a health problem, you should consult your health care provider.